Students auditioning for Orchestra could possibly be placed in the Orchestra II class depending on level of musical skills.
Placement will be based on applicant’s level of understanding, skill, and interest level.
The (experienced) student will be asked to:
- Perform an unaccompanied solo demonstrating a high level of ability. Students will need to bring two (2) copies of their sheet music for Ms. Jones. If you need assistance with finding a solo, please e-mail Rebecca Jones at email@example.com.
- Something from a method book (such as Essential Elements) is acceptable.
- Perform a short sight-reading example after being given a short time to quietly review it.
- Take a music theory quiz to show understanding of basic musical symbols, vocabulary, and reading skills.
- Answer questions about his/her musical experience in an interview with Ms. Jones.
Prior experience in strings/orchestra is encouraged but not required for Orchestra I. If the student has not played a stringed instrument before but wants to be in Orchestra, please send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. I will gladly accept him/her into the Orchestra I class as long as there is a willingness to learn! If the student is a true beginner (has no experience playing the instrument), an interview will be scheduled in lieu of an audition.
The beginner student will be asked to:
- choose an orchestral instrument: violin, viola, cello, bass
- explain why he/she wants to learn to play that instrument
- describe how being part of a musical ensemble is like being on any other team (responsibility and dependency on others) and how he/she can be a good team member
- take a beginner-level music theory quiz to show what is remembered from elementary music classes
- explain why he/she wants to be a part of the Academy at Southside Middle School
- describe any meaningful music experiences (school-related or not)