Students auditioning for Guitar could possibly be placed in the Guitar II class depending on level of musical skills.
Placement will be based on applicant’s level of understanding, skill, and interest level.
The (experienced) student will be asked to:
- Perform a prepared solo demonstrating ability level. If you need assistance with finding a solo, please e-mail Rebecca Jones at email@example.com.
- Something from a method book (such as Alfred's Basic Guitar Method) is acceptable.
- Perform a short sight-reading example after being given a short time to quietly review it.
- Take a music theory quiz to show understanding of musical symbols, vocabulary, and reading skills.
- Answer questions about his/her musical experience in an interview with Ms. Jones.
Prior experience in guitar is encouraged but not required for Guitar I. If the student has not played a guitar before but wants to be in Guitar class, please send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. I will gladly accept him/her into the Guitar I class as long as there is a willingness to learn! If the student does not have experience playing guitar, that is ok! We will schedule an interview instead of an audition.
The beginner student will be asked to:
- explain why he/she wants to learn to play guitar
- take a beginner-level music theory quiz to show what is remembered from elementary music classes
- explain why he/she wants to be a part of the Academy at Southside Middle School
- describe any meaningful music experiences (school-related or not)